Healthy Cooking with Kamalaya
Kamalaya’s roasted pumpkin dumplings are not only delicious, but they are also a great source of fibre, vitamin A and other essential antioxidants. Our recipe is served with freshly prepared basil pesto which incorporates both traditional Thai basil and the lesser-known tree basil which is a popular local ingredient used in curries and stir-fries. This can be difficult to find outside Thailand, so you may choose to substitute by increasing the quantity of Thai basil instead.
Pumpkin (thick slices), 200g
Olive oil, 10ml
Sunflower seeds, 40g
Mung bean flour, 20g
Coconut milk, 200g
Thai basil, 30g
Tree basil, 30g
Note: Double the amount of Thai basil if tree basil is unavailable
Rocket leaves, 40g
Sunflower seeds, 6g
Balsamic vinegar, 20ml
Step One: Preparing the pumpkin dumplings
Bake the pumpkin
- Place the sliced pumpkin on a baking tray
- Add the garlic and rosemary
- Pour the olive oil
- Bake for 20 minutes at 185 degrees Celsius
Blend the roasted pumpkin and shape into dumplings
- Add the roasted pumpkin to the blender and blend until the mixture acquires a smooth texture.
- To create a non-stick surface, spread olive oil on a tray or on the plate/bowl in your steamer.
- Form small quenelles (dumpling shapes) with two spoons.
- Steam the pumpkin quenelles for 15 minutes. The steamed dumplings can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Step Two: Preparing the basil pesto
- Blanch the Thai basil and tree basil for 10-15 seconds in boiling water, then immediately chill in iced water.
- Add the blanched basil, garlic, olive oil and sunflower seeds to the blender and blend until the mixture acquires a smooth texture.
Step Three: Cooking the pumpkin dumplings
- Add the coconut milk into the pan and then add garlic, onion and stir until soft.
- Add the pumpkin dumplings and cook until the pumpkin dumplings absorb the sauce.
- Add the basil pesto and season to taste with salt & pepper
- Serve in a deep plate and garnish with fresh rocket leaves, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and sunflower seeds