Our eating habits and preferences have a major impact on our physical health and appearance. Adopting a more mindful approach to eating can help you find a middle path and achieve balance between binging and fasting extremes.
Mindfulness techniques for healthy eating include:
- Listen to your body about when to ‘start’ and ‘stop’ eating based on hunger and satiety signals
- Assess whether you are ordering food from a state of ‘attachment’ or ‘anxiety and fear’. This awareness brings a balance. A healthy balance between quantity and quality is important. Lean more towards quality
- Eat small mouthfuls and be aware of the acts of chewing and swallowing
- Slow down to respect, savour and enjoy your food
- Develop a true appreciation and state of gratitude for the food and for your body’s innate wisdom during meals
Excessive stress is the main cause. Working too much, sleeping too little, the constant demands of a fast-paced, high-stress lifestyle, and even stressful life events can compromise the adrenals.
he warning signs that you’re suffering stress and burnout can start with the feeling that every day is a bad day; when caring about your work or home life seems to be a total waste of energy.