Banana Flower Salad
Kamalaya Detox Cuisine Recipe
- Banana flower 100 grams
- Beetroot, cooked 50 grams
- Mango, green 50 grams
- Wakame 50 grams
- Coriander leaf, chopped 5 grams
- Mint leaf, chopped 5 grams
- Shallot, finely sliced 3 grams
- Lime juice 10 ml
- Sesame seed 3 grams
- Sesame oil 2 tsp
- Ginger, finely chopped Â½ tsp
- Chili powder 1/4 tsp
- Lemon grass, finely sliced 5 grams
1. Remove the hard outside layer of the banana flower and slice the inside into fine strips.
2. Cut the beetroot, green mango and wakame into fine strips.
3. Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
4. Garnish with additional fresh coriander and mint leaves.
Food Notes: Banana flower
The deep purplish-crimson coloured banana flower is used as a vegetable from Sri Lanka to Laos. The faintly sweet fragranced grows at the end of the stem, protected by large reddish bracts. In Thailand, slices of tender banana flower are eaten raw with the pungent dip known as nam prik, added to fried noodles, or simmered in a hot sour soup with chicken, galangal and coconut milk. It is a good source of Vitamin C and Vitamin A, and contains fair amounts of calcium and iron.